Energy at the Institute of Mechanical Engineering
Ever increasing energy requirements a two-fold approach from the mechanical engineer: to increase energy production and to lower demand.The Institute of Mechanical Engineering has a long tradition of working with hydropower plants around Switzerland, developing world leading techniques in hydraulic turbines. At the same time we are researching small scale turbomachinery with gas lubricated bearings, for use in heat pumps and other domestic devices.
Study is made of solar energy conversion and storage, artificial photosynthesis, solide oxide fuel cells and other groundbreaking ways of harvesting and storing green energy.
In order to decrease energy use we carry out research on low waste manufacturing systems, process system engineering and smart grids.
Key research themes
- Hydraulic Systems
- Solar reactor technology and solar fuels
- System Performance Validation for Hydropower Plants
- Small-Scale Turbomachinery
- Hybrid SOFC-Gas Turbine Systems
- Energy Systems Modelling and Optimisation
- Near-Zero Waste Manufacturing Systems
- Solid Oxide Fuel Cells