Procedure and requirements
The EPFL Institute of Electrical and Micro Engineering (IEM) supports candidates who wish to apply to the SNSF Eccellenza Professorial Fellowships. IEM welcomes very strong applications in all the research domains of our Institute.
SNSF Eccellenza Professorial Fellowships are aimed at highly qualified researchers who aspire to a permanent professorship. Eccellenza supports them in achieving their goal by allowing them to lead a generously funded research project at a Swiss higher education institution. Eccellenza covers the grantee’s salary at the local rates applicable to assistant professorships and project funds of up to 1,000,000 Swiss francs for a five-year period.
Applicants must have a proven record of at least two years’ research activity at a Swiss higher education research centre, or they must be Swiss nationals or have a Swiss higher education degree. They have never held a professorship position nor is such a position foreseen.
- have a doctorate (PhD) or at least three years of research activity after obtaining their higher education degree (equivalent qualification to a doctorate).
- have acquired at least three years of research experience after their doctorate or equivalent qualification to a doctorate.
- submit their application up to eight years after their PhD defense or after the date of the equivalent qualification to a doctorate.
Upon successful application, EPFL Eccellenza fellowship grantees will receive the title of Research & Teaching Associate with a fixed-term position (not tenure-track) of 5 years maximum.
Eccellenza fellowship applicants aiming at working at EPFL-IEM must first be approved by the hosting institute. Particularly, if you would like to join the IEM you must:
- Step 1: contact the IEM director, Prof. Jean-Philippe Thiran (email@example.com) and get his support for your application. You must contact him as soon as possible before October 1st, 2021.
- Step 2: pre-register your application according to the EPFL Research Office (ReO) instructions, which can be found in the EPFL toolkit here. Please contact the EPFL Research Office (ReO) at firstname.lastname@example.org in case of questions. The IEM deadline to pre-register your application with the ReO is October 1st, 2021. Applications pre-registered with the ReO after the above-mentioned deadlines will not be considered by the IEM.
- Step 3: wait for the School of Engineering (STI) to review, jointly with the IEM, your pre-application. The STI will notify you whether your application is supported or not, at the latest by November 30th.
If your application is supported, you will be re-directed to the ReO to obtain the General Confirmation Letter that you need to include in your application to the funding body (SNSF).