Industrial internships are an integral part of your Master course in Material Science and Engineering. This is an excellent opportunity for students to get a crucial insight into the day-to-day work-flow in industry and also offer to the company your broad expertise and skills in materials science.
In case of a 2-6 month internship::
- Find an internship position and in case you have found it by yourself, without using the IS-A portal, have the subject validated by your section deputy.
- Inform the STI coordinator that you have found your internship.
- Cancel all ongoing applications by gently notifying the companies. This step is extremely important to keep a good relationship with future employers.
- Transmit the EPFL internship agreement to the employer and have it filled out and signed by the employer and the section deputy of MX. The signing of the agreement is mandatory.
- Transmit a copy of the agreement to the secretariat of MX.
If you are a non-swiss/EU citizen, ask the company to request a work authorization for the duration of the internship. More information here.
- Once all the details of your internship have been settled, enter or edit the details of your internship on the IS-A internship portal. Upload a copy of the signed internship agreement.
- If your internship takes place during an academic semester, make sure to update your FRAC according to this table
- At the end of the internship, fill out the evaluation report that will be sent to you by e-mail. The evaluation procedure starts 2 weeks prior to the official ending of the internship. Both the student and the supervisor will fill out an evaluation report.
In case of a master project in industry:
- Find a master project in industry by contacting the professors of MX.
- A master subject can also be found through the IS-A Internship portal. In this case, it is mandatory to find a professor willing to supervise you before you accept the offer from the company. Make sure to comply with the following directions: Coordinated Master Projects in Industry
- Official starting dates for master projects in industry are listed here
Other starting dates can be obtained on special request to your section.
- All administrative details of your master project in industry have to be settled between the employer and the professor supervising your work. A special Master project agreement can be signed on request of the supervising professor or the partner company.
- Once all the details of your Master project have been settled, register your project in your study plan.
- Update your FRAC according to this document