Design and Manufacturing
Mechanical Design is where pure innovation and a high level knowledge of Mechanical Engineering combine to produce groundbreaking concepts.
At the Insitute of Mechanical Engineering we have developed new approaches to the fields of aviation, automation, energy harvesting, assisted sensing, manufacturing among many others.
Our researchers have designed systems that detect facial movement, the engineering of artificial bone tissue, new techniques for drying and roasting biomass with improved energy efficiency and a new vertical take-off and landing aerial vehicle.
Key research themes
- Computational Robot Design and Fabrication
- Micromechanical and Horological Design
- Information and Communications Technology for Sustainable Manufacturing
- Development of Environmentally Conscious Microfabrication Processes and Microsystems
- Applied Mechanical Design
- Development of Multi-Functional Stretchable Materials