The Industry Internship as an integral part of your Master cursus in Microengineering. It is an excellent opportunity for students to get a crucial insight into the day-to-day work-flow in industry and provide the company with your broad expertise and skills in microengineering.
This internship has several objectives such as: the immersion of the student into the professional world, emphasizing the importance of team work, getting acquainted with a company’s processes and requirements expected from a professional engineer in microengineering. The internship experience should test the student’s abilities and skills acquired at the EPFL.
Within the framework of the Master’s study plan, several forms of industry immersions are possible:
– Internships lasting between 2 and 6 months. It occurs in most of the company’s departments where the student’s knowledge can be profitable. Depending on the available time, the activity could have a more advanced objective, and should call for the skills acquired by the student during his cursus.
– Master projects should be a personal and original work covering theoretical and practical aspects of a microengineering project. The supervision by an EPFL professor is a guarantee of quality for the student as well as for the company, which remains nevertheless fully owner of the intellectual property of the result of the internship. More information about this format here.
Procedure for students
In case of a 2-6 month internship:
- Find an internship position and in case you have found it by yourself, without using the IS-A portal, have the subject validated by your section deputy.
- Inform the STI coordinator that you have found your internship.
- Cancel all ongoing applications by gently notifying the companies. This step is extremely important to keep a good relationship with future employers.
- Transmit the EPFL internship agreement to the employer and have it filled out and signed by the employer and the section deputy of MT. The signing of the agreement is mandatory.
- If you are a non-swiss/EU citizen, ask the company to request a work authorization for the duration of the internship. More information here.
- Once all the details of your internship have been settled, enter or edit the details of your internship on the IS-A internship portal. Upload a copy of the signed internship agreement.
- If the internship is done during an academic semester, make sure to update your FRAC according to this table.
- At the end of the internship, fill out the evaluation report that will be sent to you by e-mail. The evaluation procedure starts 2 weeks prior to the official ending of the internship. Both the student and the supervisor will fill out an evaluation report.
In case of a master project in industry:
- Find a master project in industry by contacting the professors of MT.
- A master subject can also be found through the IS-A Internship portal. In this case, it is mandatory to find a professor willing to supervise you before you accept the offer from the company. Make sure to comply with the following directions: Coordinated Master Thesis in Industry
- Official starting dates for master projects in industry are as follows.
Other starting dates can be obtained on special request to your section.
- All administrative details of your master project in industry have to be settled between the employer and the professor supervising your work. A special Master project agreement (link only accessible to Professors) can be signed on request by the supervising professor or the partner company.
- Once all the details of your Master project have been settled, register your project in your study plan.
- Update your FRAC according to this table.